Sunday, October 21, 2012

Sick Day = Soup Day

So, Friday I woke up feeling slightly under the weather. No biggie I thought, assuming I was just tired from work the night before. I went to class, then came home and found myself absolutely dragging and fatigued by noon. It was beginning, the sore throat was approaching, fast. This cold hit me like a ton of bricks and all I could do was try and think of ways to make myself feel better.

My first thought was curling up on the couch, watching scary Halloween movies and eating bowls of soup. In particular, I had a taste for Apple Butternut Squash soup. The next day, I sent my wonderful boyfriend, Tom, to the Farmer's Market with a list. He was hesitant at first, but then I told him my plan and soon we'd both be enjoying some great soup. I was unsure whether or not to get Granny Smith apples (tart apples) or Cortland apples (slightly sweet apples). So I thought, why not just get two of each? Extra apples are never a problem in my house, I love apples!

So, finally Tom was home with a bag full of goodies from the market, I was starting to feel less ill... possibly because I was excited to make this soup! I've never made Apple Butternut Squash soup, but, I had an idea of what flavors I wanted to taste and I looked up a few recipes as a point of reference for measurements. To anyone who has never this soup... it is SO easy and it's only got a few ingredients! I was really impressed by the simplicity and low cost of the entire process. Here's a link to my recipe for Apple Butternut Squash Soup.

1.) Apple Butternut Squash Soup

Later that evening, I was still a little hungry and craving something sweet. Clearly, I needed a dessert. I wanted ice cream (Vanilla Frozen Yogurt), but as an addition to something warm and comforting. My first thought was to make baked apples. Good thing I was indecisive earlier and had extra apples! My leftover apples were Cortland apples which is perfect because they are one of the types of apples I use in my Apple Pie recipe (I'll post that around Thanksgiving!). I couldn't recommend these Baked Apples enough! Not only were they AMAZING, they're also a low calorie dessert! I hope you enjoy these Fall treats as much as I did!

2.) Baked Apples

**ENJOY!**

No comments:

Post a Comment